News - 2020

Well this hasn't gone to plan! While we now have a revised scheduled with racing to commence on the first weekend of August, today we had to inform both Ginetta and AK Motorsport that sadly we will not be a part of the 2020 season. Needless to say, but we are gutted - we had no doubt we would have been very competitive this season and after all the hard work to get back onto the TOCA package, and find the funding for a SuperCup season, this was a very difficult decision to make.

Reasons are many fold, but include a continuing nervous over Covid-19, the fact that for the foreseeable futire there will be no fans allowed, and that this even includes family/team members not being able to watch from spectator areas, all the way through to the new season dates encroaching well into what will be Geri's finals year at Uni. Until he goes back he won't know what lies ahead in terms of workload, working patterns and with a number of days needed to attend the races, Geri feels that this will impact his chances of gaining a First.

We remain unsure of the rest of the season, we may well come out for a race or two either within the Ginetta Supercup or maybe just find a club race to keep the enthusiasm going - in this uncertain times, more than ever, time will tell!

Whilst the Covid-19 virus has put paid to any race meetings for the time being, the Ginetta Media Day still took place at Silverstone on the National Circuit today. This was of more benefit to the Ginetta Junipr and GT5 Challenge drivers who are at least scheduled to race on this circuit layout.

The day comprised of 4 x 30 minute sessions, with the first three sessions fitted in before lunch, and in damp conditions, just too damp to run on slicks, but not wet enough to gain out of running new wets. So we ran with an old set of wets for the first couple of sessions, a check afterwards would show these were about 10% harder than our team mate's wet tyres. We were not too disappointed with the first session where Geri ended in 5th place, and less than half a second off pole. Later sessions did not go well as we looked for a better wet set up but seemingly went backwards.

By the afternoon session, the light drizzle had stopped and the track had all but dried out. We were caught on the hop having planned to buy a new set of slicks to mount during the day, but then presented with a wet day, this seemed pointless. So we didn't have any new tyres to throw on late in the session as some of the other competitors did. Instead Geri stayed out for the full session, having been fuelled up to do just that, and using the same tyres we used at Donington last week - that were already second hand prior to that. That made it all the more pleasing to again finish the session in fifth (4th in Pro) and again less than half a second off the pace. It seems like we might be competitive in the dry, and need to revert towards our original wet set up.

Like all our competitors, we now have to wait for news on the resumption of racing and what that does to the calendar. We don't have the budget to spend on testing between now and any announcement.

Full timing for the day can be seen here.

Please see below pictures taken by Jajob Ebrey Photography.

Motorsport UK have taken the decision to cancel all motorsport in the UK until the end of April as a reaction to the Covid-19 virus. This means at the very least, the Donington Park and Brands Hatch rounds will be postponed. See the official Ginetta press release.

It's official, we are racing in the 2020 Ginetta SuperCup with AK Motorsport. See the official Ginetta press release.

Send comments to:
  • <b><b></b></b>
  • <b><b></b></b>
  • <b><b></b></b>